November 11, 2010

Brilliance in music.

I listen to Sigur Ros after two or three months and it doesn't fail to give me the same old chills that I got the first time I heard them. It's pure genius, their music. No other band can compare to the kind of feeling their music gives you. I mean, the first time I heard them was probably back in March? The first song I heard was I Gaer. Slow chilling beats which lead to loud guitar and drums, but it's nothing like you've heard before. You listen to Sigur Ros and all you can think of is floating in the cold mountains. Sitting by a river, alone. Dandelion seeds flying around you. Stillness. Space, snow, rain. It's the kind of music that makes you feel like you're one with nature. I might sound really pretentious right here, but really, you'd only know if you ever heard one of their songs.
I was just listening to Hoppipolla. The scene that comes to my head is a big branched oak tree, next to a lake. Green grass everywere, fading to brown. Sitting on a makeshift swing tied to the tree, and throwing your head back and looking up at the sky everytime you swing back, and the swing forward again. The amount of times this song has given me company in empty buses and trains, made me feel like myself when I'm on a crowded street full of strangers, and I close my eyes and all I can think of is snow.
It's not happy music, though. It's the kind of music that makes you want to cry. You want to silently weep within yourself and hope nobody finds you, because it is just so damn beautiful. Music in a language you don't recognise, in the male singer's comforting falsetto, you just get the chills. Svefn-g-Englar reminds me of my first real kiss. Two hours before it happened, I remember lying down on my sofa, with the air conditioning on, mid-day, texting him, and listening to Svefn-g-Englar. Discussing Sigur Ros. Talking about how their music reminds him on floating and falling into nothingness, and how it reminds me of snow and mountaintops. Feathers floating softly down on the earth.
Take me to Hopeland.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post is beautiful. I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm... havent listened to em, that much.. ur post is tempting, lemme try em out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (:
    you should paint what you see...

    ReplyDelete